How to Become a Surrogate in Las Vegas
How to Become a Surrogate in Las Vegas
Becoming a gestational surrogate is, without a doubt, one of the most selfless things you can do for another family. Gestational surrogacy is an incredibly rewarding journey for all of those involved. But how exactly does one go about becoming one? The first thing you should know is that the U.S Surrogacy Laws vary from state to state. One of the best places to become a gestational carrier is in Las Vegas, Nevada. Las Vegas is an incredibly progressive place to live! Here gestational surrogacy is open to all: men and women, married or single, young or old and members of the LGBT+ and transracial communities.
Keep in mind there are still some requirements that you must fulfill before becoming a gestational carrier, this includes medical, legal and financial requirements. Before we begin, we at Adoption and Surrogacy Choices of Las Vegas want you to know that we are here for you! Here are the requirements and qualifications you will need to become a gestational carrier in Las Vegas, NV.
Requirements to Become a Gestational Carrier in Las Vegas
To become a surrogate (also known as a gestational carrier) in Las Vegas, you will need to undergo an extensive screening process. During these procedures, they will test whether you will be eligible to follow through medically, legally and financially.
1) Medical Requirements
If you choose to become a gestational carrier, you will need to complete a full medical evaluation. This procedure will help determine your eligibility and if you would make an ideal candidate.
- No history with infertility, STI or any serious medical conditions
- No drug use, smoking or use of control substances such as alcohol
- You must have successfully carried a pregnancy to full term prior to becoming a surrogate
- Be free of complications regarding birth or pregnancy
- Have or maintain a healthy body mass index (BMI) or no greater than 32
- Have health insurance that covers maternity and childbirth and life insurance should life-threatening complications occur (i.e. state or federal insurance like Medicare is strictly prohibited)
- Undergo a psychological evaluation
2) Legal Requirements
Keep in mind that there are two different types of surrogacy — traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. Traditional surrogacy is when the birth mother is biologically related to the child she is carrying. In Gestational surrogacy, the birth mother has no biological link to the child. Please note that because of the legal complications, traditional surrogacy is highly illegal in many countries and has been banned across the United States.
- Must be between the ages of 19-39
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Pass a criminal background check
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Have their own legal council, separate from the intended parents
- You cannot be the egg donor for the pregnancy
You can find more information on Nevada’s Surrogacy Laws here.
3) Financial Requirements
To be able to become a gestational carrier, you are required to be financially stable. We do not want you to be under the impression that this is not something you can make a living off, as that is not federally allowed. That is why Nevada requires all their candidates meet the following.
- Financially stable
- Cannot be a recipient of government aid program
Additional Qualifications for Gestational Carriers in Las Vegas
Other than the requirements listed above, the state of Nevada has additional qualifications that vary from clinic to clinic. Be sure to check with your medical practitioner for any further information that you might need. Here is a list of generally known requirements for the state of Nevada:
- Live in a surrogacy-friendly state or country
- Have the full support of their partner or spouse, friends and family
- Have no new tattoos, piercings or blood transfusions within the past twelve months
- Have a flexible schedule, and be able to get to and from doctor’s appointments without issue (i.e. have a reliable plan for daycare)
- Understand that bed rest may be involved
- Be willing to establish and maintain open communication between the intended parents and mediator (if applicable)
- Know that pregnancy is not guaranteed
- Abstain from sexual intercourse with your partner until pregnancy is established
- Be completely willing to follow through on the entirety of the treatments
Note to Gestational Carriers
There are no laws that ban the practice of gestational surrogacy in Nevada, making it a surrogacy-friendly place to live. Las Vegas is very conducive for gestational surrogates to live happily and healthy. Should you choose to go through with this, make sure that you gather all the proper information you need. Ask your doctor and legal council which is the best step for you to follow.
Stay positive and take care of yourself!
Adoption and Surrogacy Choices of Las Vegas has been providing adoption and surrogacy services across in Las Vegas since 2012. For information more general to Nevada, please visit our mother site Adoption Choices of Nevada. For information specific to Reno, please visit our sister site Adoption and Surrogacy Choices of Reno. You can also call us to speak to someone now. Contact Us 24/7: CALL OR TEXT 702-474-4673
Melissa N. Martínez is exceptionally hard-working, creative, and passionate about her writing. From a very young age, she found the writing gave her the voice that she needed. Currently, she is working on writing a fantasy novel which she wished to publish someday. She hopes to one day share her writing with others and create worlds that can comfort them in their time of need.
When she is not curled up with a good book you can find her spending time playing with her dog Zelda, watching television, or baking. She has recently moved from the island of Puerto Rico to Minnesota with her husband and dog.